Fourth of July is always a fun holiday that celebrates summer and the birthday of our country’s independence. This All American holiday is always marked by parades, fireworks and backyard barbeques throughout the country.
Check out these fun facts about these All American favorite picnic foods:
Did you know that:
- July 4th is the biggest hot dog day of the year. There is a 1 in 3 chance that the hotdog you will eat will come from Iowa. The Hawkeye state is home to 19.7 million hogs and pigs representing over 1/3 of the nations estimated total. More hot dogs are eaten in July than any other month of the year.
- Chances are good that the beef hotdogs, steaks and burgers that you are cooking up on your grill will be coming from the Lone Star State. That represents 7.2 billion pounds!!
- If you plan on barbequing chicken there is a good probability that it will be coming from Georgia, Arkansas, North Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi or Texas.
- For the ever popular potato salad or potato chips over half of the nation’s spuds will be coming from Idaho or Washington.
- When it comes to condiments, California is king. 96% of the nation’s ketchup is produced there.
- 861 million pounds of watermelon are grown in just the state of Florida each year.
If all of these facts have left you hungry and excited to fire up your grill this 4th of July don’t forget safety first! Enjoy and check out these useful grilling and food safety tips from the USDA.
Here at Tuskes Homes we are thankful for our forefathers and cherish the independence and freedom that they fought so hard to give us. Have fun, have a hot dog and light a sparkler or two but please have a safe 4th of July! Happy Birthday America!