Categories: Blog, Uncategorized | Posted: November 21, 2012
There is a good chance that you will one of the many who decorate your home this year as part of your winter holiday celebrations. Before you start unraveling strands of lights and trying to figure out where that one missing light bulb is out read up on some tips that will keep your home safe for the season!
Here are some great tips for safe and energy efficient lighting for the holidays:
- Always use GFCI protected outlets outdoors.
- Avoid overloading electrical outlets with too many decorations or electrical devices. They can overheat and cause a fire.
- Carefully inspect each electrical decoration. Cracked or frayed sockets, loose or bare wires, and loose connections may cause a serious shock or start a fire.
- Make sure household smoke detectors are working properly.
- Avoid running cords under rugs, through doorways or near furniture where they may be stepped on, tripped over or broken.
- Using timers to turn the lights on and off will save energy.
- Consider LED holiday lights for greater energy efficiency and longer life. LEDs use up to 90 percent less energy than larger holiday bulbs and last up to roughly 20,000 hours – enough to last for 40 holiday seasons.
For additional holiday lighting safety tips check out www.holidaysafety.org