The long memorial day weekend is here and for many plans will include pulling out the grill for a back yard barbeque, having fun in the pool or taking to the highway for a road trip. Here are some tips and steps anyone can follow to ensure a safe weekend whatever their plans include.
- Learning to swim can be one of the best steps anyone can take to ensure safety around water.
- Always swim in designated areas supervised by lifeguards when at a pool, beach or lake.
- Have appropriate equipment around such as reaching or throwing equipment, a cell phone to call 9-1-1, life jackets and a first aid kit.
- Always supervise children around water. Never leave a young child unattended. Always teach children to ask for permission to go near water and avoid distractions when supervising children around water.
- Give full attention to the road. Avoid distractions such a cell phones.
- Don't follow other vehicles too closely.
- Use caution in work zones.
- Use seat belts and observe speed limits.
- If plans include alcohol, designate a driver who will not be drinking.
- Never grill in an enclosed area. Keep the grill away from the house, deck, trees or anything that could catch on fire.
- Always supervise the grill when in use, and make sure everyone including pets stay away from the grill.
- Use long handled tools made for cooking on the grill.
- Never add charcoal starter fluid when coals have already been lit.
- Keep a a fireproof pan under the grill to catch any falling ash or grease.
- Be ready to close the grill and turn off the fuel if necessary.
Memorial Day should be a fun holiday and the start to Summer for many! Stay safe this weekend and all summer with these easy tips. For more information on Pool and Grilling Safety check out this great article from the National Association of Home Builders.
Tuskes Homes wants to wish you and your family a happy and safe holiday. Enjoy!